Friday, September 19, 2008

Avast me harties!

Today is TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY! See the official website here.

Here are the basics:
Ahoy! - "Hello!"
Avast! - Stop and give attention. It can be used in a sense of surprise, "Whoa! Get a load of that!" which today makes it more of a "Check it out" or "No way!" or "Get off!"
Aye! - "Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did."
Aye aye! - "I'll get right on that sir, as soon as my break is over."
Arrr! - This one is often confused with arrrgh, which is of course the sound you make when you sit on a belaying pin. "Arrr!" can mean, variously, "yes," "I agree," "I'm happy," "I'm enjoying this beer," "My team is going to win it all," "I saw that television show, it sucked!" and "That was a clever remark you or I just made." And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!

Check out the website for ideas on games, songs and pirate name generators. My name translate to The Evil Mermaid Pegs!

Let me know how your name translates!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

My pirate name is...Swashy Pegs. It is funny you posted this b/c one of our ped Dr's was at the hospital dresses as a pirate and said that today was talk like a pirate day... Arrr

Just think 3 months ago I was wheeling you out of the hospital and buckling your seatbelt for you..