Monday, August 30, 2010

Chapters 21-35 - Book Club

I'm still reading the book - The Secret Life of CeeCee Wikes by Nancy Chamberlin. It's an easy read and a very neat story. This week we are up to chapters 21-35. I'm in an online book club over at Book Beginnings and Bookends, check them out.

Let's get to it:

1. Do you think Tim is the one sending the money?
No, I think it's Marian. I feel like she has figured out a way, probably through SCAPE, to have different addresses. Why would Tim send her money? He's such a deadbeat loser anyway. Marian feels like Eve & Cory are part of the family and when she found out that Eve had already received money before it was a perfect way for her to continue that.

2. So far, there's been a lot of discussion on CeeCee/Eve and her choices. What choice(s) would you make differently from her?
At this point in the story, I don't know. She can't turn the Cory back over to the real father. Which is what I would have done in the beginning...or left the baby at the Governor's house. I think everything she has done since she decided to keep the baby has been 'good' decisions or the very least in the best interest of Cory. She couldn't tell her husband the truth. You have to keep living the lie...the lie just happens to be a life she made up.

3. What do you like about Jack? Are there things about him that you don't like?
I like that he's good with Cory. That he loves Cory and adopted her. I like how he tells Eve the truth regarding her actions and behavior toward Cory. I sometimes dislike his goofy-ness, but that's me.

4. What are the differences between CeeCee/Eve's relationship with Tim and Eve's relationship with Jack?
She's not a kid anymore. Have a baby and being on the run will grow you up fast! So she is not as naive and she has more to worry about than just herself. Her relationship with Jack is more adult and stable. The fling she had with Tim was immature and she realizes now she was being used.

5. Do you think Eve is to blame for Cory's fears? What could she do, specially, to help Cory feel like less than an outsider?
I think to some degree - subconsciously Eve is to blame for Cory's fears. However, she doesn't know anything else. She has been 'on the run' since she was born, so she doesn't know what's normal. I think getting her into a new school where kids are more in line with her intellectually will help, so Cory doesn't feel like an outsider. Maybe get her involved in more self-confidence boosting activities -sports?

6. Do you think Eve appropriately answered Cory's questions about her father? Do you think Cory will question her father more as she grows older?
I think Eve answered them the best she could with the lies she is trying to keep straight. I think Cory, like anyone, would want to know more about their father. What he looked like, what he was like, his parents possibly. I think as she gets older she will become more curious.

**Side note: you know that she is going to become friends/cross paths with the sister when she goes to the fancy new school. I haven't read ahead, but I feel it's coming. Also, what's up with Eve's feet hurting when she gets out of bed? My husband had that one time and we discovered via internet if he stretched his feet before getting out of bed, they didn't hurt. Hee hee, he will love that I put that in here. I know that will turn into something else too.

Have a good week!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I never considered Marian as the one who was sending the money. I thought maybe Naomi & Forrest, but never Marian. Interesting. I don't want it to be Tim because I don't think he has even one ounce of good in him.. but it will probably turn out to be him.

Brenda said...

Wow! I never though about Marian being the one to send the money. I think it was Tim but I don't want to believe it.

Rachel said...

I agree with you on a what an easy read this book is. I am loving it :)

I also like that Jack adopted Cory. Shows a lot about his character.