Monday, August 16, 2010

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes

I've joined an online book club. To me, it makes perfect sense, because I like to read and I don't have a lot of time to go over to someones house and discuss it. I stumbled upon it through Blue-Eyed Bride it is called Book Beginnings and Bookends.

The book this month is The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes written by Nancy Chamberlin. I had no idea what the book was about. Our first assignment was read up Chapters 1-10. It is a very easy read and so far I'm really interested in reading through the book. It was really hard to stop after Chapter 10.

PS - I will be discussing the book, so don't read any further if you want to read the book.

Here are the questions from this week:

1. What was your first impression of Tim?
I thought he was a nice regular customer at CeeCee's cafe who was nice to her. I thought he really liked her and was generally wanted to help her. I did find it odd that he was much older than her - she is only 16, but I really wanted it to work out for them. (in the beginning)

2. If you were in CeeCee's position, would you be willing to help your boyfriend in the way that she is willing to help Tim?
This is a hard one, I feel like I understand why she helped him. It is the first person that she has really loved since her mother passed away, so I feel like she's clinging to the 'family' aspect of it. I, on the other hand, would NEVER do that. She was so worried about how she would continue to see Tim after the kidnapping.

3. Why do you think CeeCee is so eager to please Tim?
I think it's a couple of reason - 1 - she is in love with him and feels like Tim and Marty are family and 2 - she feels like she owes him because she thinks he gave her the money to go to school.

4. Who do you think has it harder Tim or CeeCee?
Tim does. He grew up with everything he wanted, family, love, money, vacations, etc. It's only been in the last several years that he has experienced true hardships and he doesn't know how to handle it. CeeCee has always had a hard life. Her father left, she was with her mother through a lengthy battle with cancer, she moved, she was with multiple foster families - she adapts better than Tim.

5. What character trait(s) about CeeCee stuck out the most of you in these first ten chapters?
I think her innocence, although she has been through a lot, she still is a child and in the way she is so honest with her feelings and emotions allows her innocence to shine through.

6. Do you think CeeCee is as mature as she seems?
Yes, I believe she is mature...but she is young and innocent.

4 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

I like your answer to no. 4. I never thought about it like that, but you are 100% right I think.

The Robinsons said...

what a great idea! hope you had a good weekend.

Kimberley said...

looks like fun!

Lauren said...

Loved reading your thoughts on the first 10 chapters. This is the type of book that captivates you from the very beginning, which explains why I read it in like two days, haha!!